Blog a la Pibil

"Blog a la Pibil" was born in Mexico, and was originally based on the adventures of Josue and Lupita, who were traveling in Mexico for two months. This blog is now a continuation of the life of Lupita, who has been restored to her life as a mere mortal in Los Angeles.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Cantando en la lluvia

We have installed ourselves in an apartment in Oaxaca south of the zocolo. We started Spanish classes again this past Monday at a great school called Espanol Interactivo. My class has four students, and I am now able to talk about things I am doing, have done, did, was doing, had done, am doing right now, and am going to do in the future. One does not realize how many different verb tenses there are until one studies a foreign language in earnest.

The school offers cooking classes and dance classes, and Josue and I have taken advantage of both. We are going to try out our new salsa skills this evening at a salsa joint called "La Candela." Two days ago, we made a mole coloradito and quesadillas with Oaxacan cheese and calabazas (squash blossoms). We learned how to make tortillas from scratch, which will enable me to use my wooden tortilla press back home which, until now, has lain dormant.

Oaxaca has been a little more difficult to get used to than Guadalajara. It has rained every day since we got here, which hampers sight seeing and generally going outside of the apartment (the rain is a great boon to my Spanish, as it requires me to make myself useful indoors). What's more, the zocolo is under construction and completely inaccessible. This is a bit of a bummer. Hopefully, the rain will pass, and give us an opportunity to explore the city a bit more.

Oh, and I can't forget to tell you about my birthday. The first highlight was eating chapulines (grasshoppers), one of the culinary prizes of Oaxaca. They were tasty, mashed up in a paste with butter and something that tasted like curry powder. I wouldn't have known I was eating grasshoppers but for the little legs that were sticking out of the paste. Yum. The second highlight was, in the middle of dinner, the fantastic if not entirely dangerous fireworks display that happened to take place right outside of the restaurant. At the end of the show, a ring of fireworks atop a tower of fireworks suddenly shot high into the air like a rocket (for reasons I cannot explain, the ring read SANGRE DE CRISTO, or Blood of Christ). It landed, still on fire, about ten feet away from my head. All in all, a very happy birthday. Josue's birthday is tomorrow and I hope we will be able to find more peligroso events to tell you about.

2 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I was all set to ask “but have you eaten grasshoppers in Oaxaca yet?” and bingo! Indeed, our intrepid traveler has already done the gastronomic deed. You rock. So -- ready to audition for Fear Factor?

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous ben said...

Happy birthday you guys! I can't wait to see you. I hope it's not raining in San Cristobal!!!! love,
Ben

 

Post a Comment

<< Home